THE AFFTON PARENTS CLUB IS A NONPROFIT 501(c)(3), VOLUNTEER PARENT/GUARDIAN-RUN ORGANIZATION OPEN TO ALL OF THE AFFTON COMMUNITY DEDICATED TO STRENGHTHENING, ENHANCING, AND ENCOURAGING THE EDUCATIONAL AND SOCIAL ENVIRONMENT OF OUR AFFTON SCHOOL STUDENTS.
APC SUPPORTS SOCIAL INTERACTION, PROMOTES FAMILY ENGAGEMENT IN OUR SCHOOLS, CULTIVATES STUDENT SUCCESS, AND FOSTERS POSITIVE RELATIONS WITHIN OUR COMMUNITY BY PROVIDING AN ALL-INCLUSIVE FORUM FOR EXCHANGING INFORMATION ON ISSUES THAT IMPACT OUR CHILDREN.
Article 1 – Membership
This organization shall be known as the Affton Parents Club (APC) and a copy of Club bylaws will be available to all Members upon request. Membership is strictly volunteers.
A Member of APC is defined as any parent, guardian or adult standing in as a loco parentis of a child in the Affton School District, past or present, and in support of the APC Mission Statement. Any employed staff of faculty member of the Affton School District may also be a Member. To be considered a Member and to receive voting privileges, one must register via sign in at enrollment or during a General Membership meeting. Those registered at General Membership meetings will have voting rights effective at the next meeting.
There will be no fee for membership.
Article 2 – Election of Officers and Delegates
Section 1 – Qualifications of Officers for the Board
- Must be a Member of the Affton Parents Club
- The Board shall consist of three (3) women and three (3) men
- The President and Vice-President shall not be of the same gender.
- A Member may run for more than one office, but can only accept one office
- Officers are limited to a maximum of two (2) consecutive terms per position, unless no other candidates are willing to run for that office. In that case, the incumbent may seek an additional term.
- A “term” is considered to be two (2) years.
- Nominees for the offices of President, Vice-President, and Treasurer shall have previously served as a Board Member, School Delegate of Committee Chair.
Section 2 – Election of Officers
- Nominations will be taken in April, voted upon in May, and the incoming Board member shall begin his or her term on July 1st.
- The Vice-President shall be responsible for collecting nominations and facilitating the voting process.
- Relations by blood or marriage may not serve on the Board simultaneously.
Section 3 – Election of Delegates
- Delegates shall be elected on a separate ballot following the election of officers.
- All nominations are made from the floor.
- Nominations will be taken in April, voted upon in May, and the incoming Delegate shall begin his or her term on July 1st.
- There will be a total of five (5) delegates; i.e. one (1) for each school in the Affton School District.
- A “term” is considered to be one (1) year.
Section 4 – Vacancies
- All nominations shall be from the floor, with the consent of the nominee. Voting shall be by ballot except when there is no choice of candidates.
- In the case of resignations, nominations will be taken at the next General Membership meeting and voted upon at the same meeting.
- When an officer has been absent from three (3) consecutive meetings without communicating with the Affton Parents Club board, the presiding officer shall declare the office vacant and an election shall take place at the next General Membership meeting.
- When filling vacancies for unexpired terms, an officer who has served more than half (1/2) a term is considered to have served a full term in that office.
Article 3 – Duties of Officers and Delegates
Interim Board for the first two (2) years of the Affton Parents Club organization shall consist of the following positions:
- Two (2) Co-Presidents
- One (1) Vice-President
- One (1) Treasurer
- One (1) Communications Director
- One (1) Secretary
All outgoing officers shall deliver all books, papers, and other Club property in their possession to their successor before the July 1st joint board meeting convened by the President. All newly installed officers shall be prepared to assume their duties by July 1st.
Any officer failing to perform the duties pertaining to their office may be removed by a two-thirds (2/3) vote by The Club membership, providing the removal has been submitted in writing at a General Membership meeting and held over until the next General Membership meeting. Due notice must be given to all members.
President: He/she shall preside at all meetings, call special meetings on his/her own motion, or upon written request of not less than fifteen (15) percent of the members. He/she shall see that all orders of the organization are strictly carried out and perform all other executive duties incumbent upon his/her office. He/she shall select a committee of two (2) to audit the Treasurer’s accounts at the end of the fiscal year before the accounts are turned over to the new Treasurer. He/she shall be a member ex-officio of all committees. In the event of a tie, the President shall cast the deciding vote. He/she shall be responsible for scheduling meetings and obtaining applicable permits.
Vice-President: He/she shall exercise the same powers and perform the same duties incumbent upon the President during his/her absence or in case of illness or inability to perform same. He/she shall maintain an inventory of all organizational assets. The Vice-President shall be the liaison for all chartered organizations.
Secretary: He/she shall keep an accurate record of all proceedings of the organization. The Secretary shall preserve all documents relating to the business of the organization. The Secretary shall keep one book in which the by-laws and standing rules shall be written and kept up-to-date, showing any changes made with a reference to date and page of minutes where it was recorded. He/she shall conduct all correspondence of the organization, read and preserve all documents and correspondence relating to the business of the organization. Correspondence shall be kept for a period of four (4) years. Documents shall be maintained on Google Docs and shared with all members of the Board.
Communications Director: He/she is responsible for all communication published to the Club membership and others in the community as needed in regards to Club business and events. For example, responsibilities include, but are not limited to, maintaining the Club’s website, social media, liaison with school PR and Communication Director(s).
Treasurer: He/she shall receive from the membership committee all monies collected and deposit same in the Club’s bank account. They shall make no disbursements without the sanction of the Board. They shall prepare and present a written report of all monies received and expended, including the bank balance, at all Board and General Membership meetings. They shall present a budget and file applicable tax forms. He/she or an appointed representative shall be present at fund raising events to collect monies and give receipts to committee heads. They shall prepare and present an annual financial report to the Club membership. They must submit books for auditing at any time as requested by the Board. They shall be bonded. All books shall be audited before being turned over to the successor. The Club’s bank account will not be managed by the School District in any way; i.e. “all out”. No more than three (3) members will be issued credit cards on the Club’s bank account.
Delegates: He/she shall serve as liaisons between the officers and membership as a whole, and between the Club and the schools. They are required to attend, or provide prior written update, all Board and General Membership Meetings. A Delegate can be removed from office by the Board, if he/she fails to meet standards consistent with the Affton Parents Club mission and procedures.
Committee Chairs: He/she are required to attend, or provide prior written update, all General Membership meetings. They must collaborate with the Treasurer, report on their event and submit to the Board a final written report of their event within two (2) months after the event. At the end of their tenure, they shall train their successor. Committee Chairs may serve indefinitely at their and/or the Board’s discretion. A Committee Chair can be removed from office by the Board, if he/she fails to meet standards consistent with the Affton Parents Club mission and procedures.
Article 4 – Meetings
- There will be six (6) – eight (8) regular General Membership meetings as needed annually.
- The Board shall meet prior to the General Membership meeting to prepare agenda accordingly.
- Board meetings must have a minimum of two-thirds (2/3) elected officers in attendance to form a quorum.
- General Membership meetings shall be held on school property, on a week night, and start at 7:00 p.m.
Article 5 – Dissolution
In the event that the General Membership votes to return to having separate Mothers and Fathers Clubs, all Club events will revert back to original ownership and the bank account will be divided equally.